Month: July 2013

Blind Impressions – Cropper Peerless Platen

This evening I set up the chase in my new, old Cropper Peerless Platen, and spun the flywheel tentatively. Geeking out for a moment, I love how this press feels: the sense of momentum as the flywheel spins, the whirring and clanking of gears and cogs, the low, satisfied rumbling it makes as it operates… wow. 

After some fiddling with the impression screws, I was able to get a pretty deep impression, but sadly every time there was the tell-tale creases between the works that speaks of tympan issues. I recalled that the previous owner had mentioned he had repacked it this week, so I undertook a bit of exploration, to find thick foamy paper lurking in the underpacking. There’s my problem. I pulled it all out, and tomorrow I will repack the layer using newspaper and brown paper. 

 

Image

This is a helpful link about that… (Tomorrow me: take note!):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW65DnDr6G8

(ps: the chase was set by the previous owner. There is an erroneous capital I. He typeset the message for me specifically though, which was a lovely gesture). 

Vicobold Model C Restoration

Today I began the (somewhat mammoth) task of trying to restore the Vicobold Model C I picked up for 99p on eBay a couple of weeks back. I really don’t have a lot of idea what to expect with this, but the logical first stage was to give it a good clean up. This link shows a fully restored version, and, in the bottom image, my rather dilapidated one. 

So, a trade sized can of WD40 later, this is where we’re at. I’m pretty impressed and excited so far:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Adana Guillotine

A couple of months back I regaled this blog with the story of my going to collect some type trays from a farm, and the kindly owner giving me an old Adana Guillotine he’d been storing in a vat of diesel. 

It should have looked like this: 

 

Image

But is sadly much browner. After a whole lot of scrubbing, wire wooling, and lemon-juicing, the green underneath began to shine through. Its much greener than ever I thought it would be, bearing in mind the state we found it in, but none of the mechanisms move. 

In preparation for my main restoration project – the Vicobold Model C that we’re picking up next week, I thought I’d have another go at this, dousing all the joints and screws in penetrant to see if I can get them to budge.

So here she is, bathing in a sea of grease! My bedroom smells like a railway yard. I love it. 

Image